Boomerang Tool vs Line Cutterz
For the past year or so, when it comes to fishing line snips, I’ve been a Boomerang guy. It has to be one of the handiest tools available to anglers, but it’s not perfect. Which is why I decided to look and see what other options presented themselves.
In my opinion, the [amazon_textlink asin=’B002BWW99A’ text=’Boomerang Tool’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’river0d-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’55fd8b10-820b-11e7-bd12-d5d2974ed1c7′]’s top competitor is [amazon_textlink asin=’B01C6C77EQ’ text=’Line Cutterz’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’river0d-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’309d0f7c-820b-11e7-bd3d-41ed57cee28e’]. Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last year or so, you’re familiar with their truly unique design. Line Cutterz describes it this way on their website. In case you haven’t seen them…
“A ring worn on the finger that cuts fishing line is finally here! Sleek, adjustable ring with double-sided blade perfect for quick and efficient cutting of monofilament and braided fishing line. Wear it on a finger or mount it to fishing rod handles, kayak seat posts, boat rails or anywhere else you can imagine. Great for all types of fishing including kayak fishing, surf fishing, chartered fishing and tournament fishing.
- Two-sided stainless steel blades and stainless steel rivet set in an ABS plastic.
- Ultimate in durability and safety.
- Velcro adjustable strap to fit all size fingers.
- TSA allowed. Bring your ring when you fly, travel.”
But how does it compare to a proven, reliable product like the Boomerang Tool? To be fair about the comparison, I’ll be grading both fishing line snips on the following characteristics.
- Ease of Use
In case you’re not familiar with the Boomerang Tool, heres the run down. The companies website describes it this way:
“The Original Boomerang Fishing SNIP is a revolutionary fishing line cutter that allows you to spend more time fishing and less time worrying about dropping or losing your gear in the water or fishing around your tackle box for the tool you need. These innovative fishing line cutters cut through braid, mono, and fluoro lines in just one click- clean and smooth every time! These attach conveniently to your vest or belt loop and have a durable retractor, keeping your line cutters secure and handy when you need them. The Original Fishing SNIPS are a must for every tackle box. Also available with an LED light.”
- Heavy duty retractable fishing line cutter
- Cuts clean and smooth every time
- Great for braid, fluoro and mono lines
- Includes integrated blade safety mechanism
- Available in grey or black
- 420 Stainless steel cutters
- Corrosion resistant
Let’s jump in.
- Boomerang Tool: Features a built in retractable lanyard that is durable and abrasion resistant. Easily attaches to your PFD or seat.
- Line Cutterz: Designed to be worn like a ring, but can also be attached to your fishing rod or seat. Wearing the ring in the heat can pose some comfort issues, but this is easily solved by adjusting the strap.
- Boomerang Tool: Designed to be very precise, easily cutting tag ends or knots off of hooks.
- Line Cutterz: Based on the video (below) by Line Cutterz, you have to put the hook in your hand and pull the taught line against the blade to cut it. There is no denying that this puts the user at a greater risk of hooking himself. To remove the knot on the hook, they suggest using another hook to pick it loose. Their own video shows that the ring is not designed to cut the knot off of a hook.
Ease of Use: (What does it cut and how easily)
- Boomerang Tool: The scissoring action of the Boomerang works great on traditional weight mono and fluoro lines. Line over 25-pound test may be more difficult to cut. Braided line is the Boomerang tools nemesis, as it typically takes multiple tries to cut through it, resulting in a frayed fuzzy end.
- LineCutters: Cutting through fishing line of all weights and sizes is where this thing excels. 100-pound test mono and 300-pound test braid are no problem.
- Boomerang Tool: It is designed to allow the user to lock it closed when in use. Very safe.
- Line Cutters: Designed with safety in mind. I’m not sure you could cut yourself with it if you tried.
- Under $15.00
- Under $15.00
In the end, I would say that while both fishing line snips have their strengths and weaknesses, they are best suited to compliment each other…not replace each other. The Boomerang is great for snipping off tag ends and knots, while the Line Cutterz ring cuts braid perfectly. So, my opinion? This isn’t an “either or scenario”..it’s a question of “why not both.”